If you follow me on Twitter, these are all things I've tweeted about it one way or another recently. But, you know, there's more, um, substance here:
1. I haven't been sleeping well , a certain man is haunting my dreams, and I just feel sluggish in the heat lately, but it's ok. Tomorrow is a holiday and that means that today is basically Friday!
2. We had a big ole storm 'round these parts on Friday night. Lots of people lost power. Lots of them still don't have it back. I never lost power and maybe have a little survivor's guilt about it. At the same time, people have been acting like they're going to die if the a/c doesn't get restored and that PEPCO will be to blame for their deaths. I mean, do they know that there are still people in this area who survive just fine without a/c? Also, your pet is not going to die. Give it a bowl of water and somewhere to get in the shade and it will be just fine.
3. I used my cat as a derecho-meter on Friday night. I didn't get close to the windows again until he deemed it safe enough to come back out from under the bed. Until then, we were both pretty sure the world was ending.
4. Polka dots usually make everything better. If not that, then something pink. Put them both together and you basically have perfection (plus, my toes are cute):
5. I made the mistake of wearing a maxi skirt to brunch on Sunday. It was a rather big mistake. I thought, "Hey, people who live in the desert stay cool by covering up in lightweight, loose-fitting clothing over all exposed skin, so this maxi skirt won't be too hot in 98 degree, 100% humidity!" Wrong. My knees were sweating. Not the back of my knees, which are basically never dry in the summer. The front of my knees.
6. Speaking of that brunch, we tried this quaint little creperie in Old Town Alexandria. It was absolutely adorable. I want to go there often. Here's what my breakfast crepe (scrambled eggs, spinach, tomatoes, feta) looked like:
7. I spend a lot of time at the pool on the weekends. Tanning is my crack. There is something about laying out at the pool with your significant other that just seems decidedly intimate to me. I miss that.
8. I love the Olympics and can't wait for them to start, but I'm reminded lately of one annoying aspect: everyone becomes a track and field expert. Just dealing with the trials has been enough to remind me of that.
9. Some people should not show their toes in public. I'm sorry, I know this is unfair. But so is me having to look at your gnarly toes.
10. After that emotional hiccup last week (yes, I'm trying to downplay it a little to lessen the dramatic effect), I was reminded that I really have wonderful friends. Friends who will remind me that at least I'm getting out there and finding men who appreciate me and have just as hard a time saying goodbye as I do. Friends who also remind me that you have to be in it to win it, and standing on the sidelines is never the way to win the game.
"Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire."